Blog Post #10

Compare & Contrast:

Both of my mugs are very similar in shape, height, and width. For mug #1 I decided to use a pattern that looks like scales, but for mug #2 I decided to do a simpler pattern of just stripes. When making the pattern for #1, I wanted something that would stand out and catch the viewers attention on the pattern, rather than the places where I joined clay together. On mug #1 and #2 I made a similar lip, base, and handle. For mug #1 I did not join the handle on completely, and it ended up falling off, but I learned from this for mug #2 and worked on joining the handle better and blending it all together to make sure it is secure. Also, during the process of mug #1 I had trouble keeping the slab propped up right because I felt that the slab was too thin to work with for me. So by trial and error, I adjusted the slab roller until it made it easier for me to work with. Both of the mugs are similar shapes, so for my next mug I want to try to add darts, or change up the base.

Who are you making it for?:

I want to make my mug for my dad because he always drinks coffee. He does not like very vibrant colors or patterns, so I like how in my mug #2 the pattern is very simple and not too lively. Also, to add to the simplistic mug style, when I glaze it I want to make it a brown or grey color because those colors are very neutral. As I mentioned, my dad loves to drink coffee, and I always see him with the same 2 mugs all the time, so I feel that if I make him one, he would like to use it a lot because it is handmade and has sentimental value. Whenever I come home with any pottery pieces, my parents are so amazed at how I was able to make it, but by making a mug ( which has everyday use ) it is even better because it is utilitarian and has a personal touch.

One Reply to “Blog Post #10”

1. I am glad to hear that your family appreciates your work. It would be great to include a picture of a pot in action in your house. Maybe consider this personalization in your final project of the year too.