Blog Post #4

Express:

Flowers were always fun to draw as a kid, and can always be unique when someone puts their own spin on them. This kind of flower that I worked on creating never turns out the same every time, so even if you mess up while carving it, it looks good because each one is different in their own way. I wanted to make a set of something, so you could see the simplicity of the design, and by making four different pinch pots with this design, it sparked an idea for my glazing. When I glaze them, I want to use all of the same color, but in different shades so they all compliment each other. Throughout the process of making it, one of my classmates mentioned that in the crevasses of the flower and stem/leaves that wrap around the whole pot, I should use a dark green color to make the design stand out and pop. This whole idea is very original, because every pot I made is going to be the same design but turn out a little different; I made each of them different sizes, so I could use them for different purposes around the house. I am going to use them to store miscellaneous materials that are lying around in the house, and with the same color schemes, all of the pots are connected.

Stretch & Explore:

Once I finished making my set of flower pinch pots, I was looking at other class periods, and saw that many people made pumpkin pinch pots, which gave me an idea. I decided to make a small pumpkin because I knew the building process of how to make one, and it was very simple to do. I just made two pinch pots and connected them, having the inside be hollow and then I added lines around the outside to have texture. I originally never planned on making the pumpkin, but I had extra time and wanted to try something new. I already knew the process of how to make it, but I never made a lid to go on top of it. I made the actual pumpkin/base part of the pot in one day, and let it dry on the ware-cart. The next day I worked on making the lid, using the pumpkin as a mold for it. I added lines to the lid to match the base, so I knew which way the lid matched up because the opening was not completely symmetrical. My plans for glazing it are a suddle orange color and a brownish color for the lid, so it has a “warm” color feel to it.